Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Genie Francis Returns To General Hospital


Genie Francis made for return to "General Hospital" today after a two year absense. The 46-year-old actress once again reprised her role as Laura on the ABC daytime soap opera. The character's 1981 fairy-tale wedding to Luke (played by Anthony Geary) was watched by 30 million viewers and landed the couple on the cover of Newsweek magazine. Francis began playing Laura in 1976."This is a short visit," says Francis. "It's a mother-daughter story. Years ago when I started playing the character as a 14-year-old girl, it was a mother-daughter story, only I was the daughter. So it's kinda cool this is full circle. It's nice to come back for visits. 'General Hospital' is my home."Laura was last seen slipping in and out of a catatonic state in 2007. The upcoming appearance will feature Laura in a story line with daughter Lulu. Francis, who now runs a home-furnishing shop in Belfast, Maine, said she was told that Laura wouldn't be killed off during her latest guest stint."I would stay on, but 'General Hospital' honestly doesn't seem to want that relationship with this character at the moment," said Francis. "They want little short doses during sweeps periods. It's not entirely up to me. I'm thrilled and delighted my audience stands behind me. If they didn't, you can be sure I wouldn't get to come back for these visits."Francis won a supporting actress Daytime Emmy in 2007 for previously reprising the role.
(yahoo news)

No comments: